In 2012, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) of India and the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) launched the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS), which requires manufacturers of electronic and IT products to submit registration application to BIS before placing their products on the Indian market. After obtaining registration approval, BIS allows manufacturers to declare that their products comply with Indian standards. CRS registration does not require factory audit, but only needs to submit a self-conformity declaration and a product test report.
India CRS registration mark
Indian CRS Registration Requirements
1. Manufacturers outside India need to have a liaison office or branch in India, and the liaison office or branch should abide by all BIS laws, regulations and rules; or, overseas manufacturers designate an authorized agent in India (AIR, Authorised Indian Representative) , the agent signs an agreement with the manufacturer according to BIS regulations, and declares compliance with relevant laws and regulations on behalf of the manufacturer and is responsible for it.
2. Manufacturers need a self-conformity declaration that shows that the factory has a complete manufacturing facility and the necessary testing equipment to test the product.
3. The product test report must be issued by a laboratory accredited by BIS.
Indian CRS registration process
File organization and preliminary documentation
- Organize and assemble all necessary documents
- Preliminary documentation on the BIS website
- The collected samples are sent to the BIS laboratory
- The test report is valid for 90 days
- Applicants need to pay the testing fee
- Apply online
- Submit hard copy documents to the BIS office
- Applicants need to pay the application fee
- If the required documents are missing or incomplete, BIS will communicate with the applicant via email or phone
- Application documents and product testing need to meet the requirements
- The applicant will be granted a certification and a CRS registration number
Documents required for CRS registration in India
- CDF/CCL form
- BIS application form
- Manufacturer's business license (original + English translation)
- Scope of business (original + English translation)
- ISO certificate
- Labeling/Marking Details
- Power of attorney (if the signatory is not the responsible manufacturer)
- Trademark Certificate
- Trademark power of attorney (if the trademark is not owned by the manufacturer)
- AIR power of attorney (if foreign manufacturer)
- AIR identity document
- Schematic diagram of plant layout, etc.
Indian CRS registration period and fees
- Total registration period: 50-90 days
- CIRS Service Fee: Depends on specific products
- BIS official application fee: about 700 US dollars
- Product testing fee: subject to BIS laboratory quotation
India CRS Compulsory Registration Product List
Electronic Games (Video)
Visual Display Units, Video Monitors of screen size up-to 32”
CCTV Cameras/CCTV Recorders
Plasma/ LCD/LED Televisions of screen size 32″ & above
Adapters for household and similar electrical appliances
Optical Disc Players with built in amplifiers of input power 200W and above
USB driven Barcode readers, barcode scanners, Iris scanners, Optical fingerprint scanners
Visual Display Units, Video Monitors of screen size 32″ & above
Standalone LED Modules for General Lighting
Lighting Chain (Rope Lights)
Telephone Answering Machines
Automatic Teller Cash dispensing machines
Amplifiers with input power 2000W and above
USB Type External Hard Disk Drive
Electronic Musical Systems with input power 200W and above
Wireless Headphone and Earphone
Electronic Clocks with Mains Powers
USB Type External Solid- State Storage Devices (above 256 GB capacity)
Set Top Box
Electronic Musical System with input power below 200 Watts
Automatic Data Processing Machine
Standalone Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)with output voltage 48 V (max)
Power Adaptors for IT Equipments
Television other than Plasma/ LCD/LED TVs
Power Adaptors for Audio, Video & Similar Electronic Apparatus
UPS/Invertors of rating≤5kVA
DC or AC Supplied Electronic Control gear for LED Modules
Sealed Secondary Cells/Batteries containing Alkaline or other non-acid Electrolytes for use in portable applications
Self-Ballasted LED Lamps for General Lighting Services
Webcam (Finished Product)
Fixed General Purpose LED Luminaries
Smart Speakers (with and without Display)
Dimmers for LED products
Point of Sale Terminals
Crystalline Silicon Terrestrial Photovoltaic (PV) modules (Si wafer based)
Thin-Film Terrestrial Photovoltaic (PV) Modules (a-Si, CiGs and CdTe)
Smart Card Readers
Power converters for use in photovoltaic power system
Mail Processing Machines/Postage Machines/Franking Machines
Utility –Interconnected Photovoltaic inverters
Power Banks for use in portable applications
Low – Voltage switchgear and controlgear: Circuit – Breakers
Low – Voltage switchgear and controlgear: switches,disconnectors, switch disconnectors and fuse – Combination units
Recessed LED Luminaries
Low – Voltage switchgear and controlgear: electromechanical contactors and motor – Starters
LED Luminaires for Road and Street lighting
Low – Voltage switchgear and controlgear: a.c semiconductor motor controllers and starters
LED Flood Lights
Low – Voltage switchgear and controlgear: a.c.semiconductor motor controllers and contactors for non – Motor loads
LED Hand lamps
Low – Voltage switchgear and controlgear: electromechanical control circuit devices
LED Lighting Chains
Low – Voltage switchgear and controlgear proximity switches
LED Luminaires for Emergency Lighting
Low – Voltage switchgear and controlgear: electrical emergency stop devices with mechanical latching function
UPS/Inverters of rating ≤ 10kVA
Ortho Phosphoric Acid
Plasma/ LCD/LED Television of screen size up-to 32”
Indian CRS Registration Renewal Requirements
- The certificate is valid for 2 years. Renewal before expiration can maintain its validity
- Renewal application need afford application fee, service fee, etc.
- If the renewal application and necessary fees (including late fees) are not received, the license will expire 90 days after the validity period (2 years).
- Authorised Indian Representative (AIR)
- India CRS registration consultation and training
- Indian CRS Registration Application
- Indian CRS Registration Update
India CRS Registration FAQ
1. Is Indian CRS registration mandatory?
Products that are included in the Indian CRS compulsory registration list are compulsory registration, and the products must obtain CRS registration approval before entering the Indian market.
2. How long is the Indian CRS registration cycle?
The CRS registration cycle can be roughly divided into three parts: data preparation, product testing, and official review. Usually, it takes about 50-90 days from the date when the application data is accepted to the end of the official review. If there are major changes in the official review or changes in product testing, the time required may be extended.
3. How much does Indian CRS registration cost?
The CRS registration fee consists of CIRS service fees, official BIS application fees and product testing fees; CIRS service fees will be determined according to the materials and test items to be prepared for different products. The official BIS application fee is around $700. Product testing fees will vary according to different testing institutions.
4. How long is the Indian CRS registration valid for?
licenses are valid for 2 years, and renewal before expiration can maintain its validity. If no renewal application is received, the license will expire 90 days after the validity period (2 years).
5. Where can I view the list of India CRS compulsory registrations?
Enterprises can view the CRS compulsory registration list through the official website of BIS India, and the products included in the list are compulsory for registration.